Bad Breath Treatment
- Category: General Dentistry
Halitosis, also known as bad breath, is a common oral issue. Halitosis is a condition in which noticeably unpleasant odors are exhaled while breathing. Whether or not the source of the bad smell is from bacteria, bad breath negatively affects many individuals both personally and socially. With regular dental cleanings at clinic in , bad breath can be prevented.
Bad breath is the also one of the most frequently seen complaint bringing patients to the dental chair, the first two being tooth decay and periodontal disease. There are a number of reasons that may lead to bad breath. Below we have listed some common causes:
- Poor oral hygiene
- Patients with mouth appliances such as dentures or orthodontics are more susceptible to bad breath if the appliances are not cleaning and maintained properly.
- Patients with a disability, young children, and the elderly who find the upkeep of oral hygiene to be particularly difficult
- Diet can sometimes cause dehydration depending on the type of foods ingested. Foods that often contribute to the progression of bad breath are diet cola, spices such as curry and garlic, onions, coffee, foods or beverages that are high in protein, etc.
- Medications can often cause bad breath such as the use of antihistamines, vitamins, cardiac and blood pressure medications, calcium blockers, etc. Such medication, although helpful to your overall health, can hinder the flow of saliva creating dry mouth which can often lead to bad breath and tooth decay.
- Patients who smoke are more susceptible to suffer from halitosis as well as periodontal disease in addition to the countless other negative affects regarding your general health.
- Next >>